Monday, November 18, 2013


Many years ago I struggled to find out who I was. It may sound weird, but I think every person goes through that stage in their life when they don’t know who they are or how they fit in, in this world and that was me. When you are young no one ever knows why it’s a big struggle with his or her identity. Now that I have taken this Pop Culture class I have realized that I did not know who I was because the media influenced more than I thought it did. Now I realized that I didn’t know who I was because I wanted to be like every celebrity out there. I wanted to be skinny, wanted to have nice hair, have a clear face, and have nice clothes and shoes. I wanted to be like Jessica Alba, Jennifer Lopez anyone, but myself. I was so unhappy with myself because that is how the media made me, it made the celebrities untouchable people that everyone would want to be like them and should be like them. Every teenager struggles with their identity because of the media, what they see on TV the magazines etc. We all want the next big thing, the next thing the celebrities are getting whether it is hair extensions, pills to get skinny, surgery etc. To this day I still want to be like some famous celebrity look how they look, dress like they dress, but I’ve learned to accept myself and like myself for who I am. Although it is a challenge not to fall into the media’s gossip its better to be yourself than trying to be some famous celebrity that in reality we could never be, because we are not them and they are not us.

No comments:

Post a Comment